4/18/2012

Ashtanga Yoga

It's been seven months since I've practiced yoga and I do enjoy it very much. I took my first yoga class with my good friend, Andini, in Memorial Athletic Club (MAC). She is the one who asked me to try practice yoga. MAC offers a different kind of types of yoga; from the basic Hatha to the most challenging one called Energizing Yoga. I choose Hatha just like what Andini have told me to practice the very basic one and see if I enjoy it or not. And I do like it! After couple of months passed, I started to see changes in my body. I feel more flexible than ever, I'm able to lift one leg for the balancing poses and hold it for about 5 long breaths, I eat right because I'm stressed free. I just feel happier than ever. I continue practicing Hatha until I feel...I think I want to try something different.   

So I tried this class from MAC called Flow Yoga after 2 months of practicing Hatha. And mannn...that class was more challenging, phoeeyyy!!! I couldn't catch my breath...the postures is flowing from one to another...way more challenging than the regular Hatha class. Plus this class is for those people who are stronger than I am. Now I get it! That's why it is called Flow Yoga because the postures are non stop and it flows like a river. And that was it...I thought OK I'll go back to my regular Hatha and wait until I'm strong enough to try those kind of yoga.

Yoga has become a routine for me ever since. Few months later I still think I wanted to do something different on my practice of yoga. I want to feel stronger and toned up. I looked it up on the internet and I saw Ashtanga Yoga. Huurrmmm...what is this? And here it is:

"Ashtanga yoga is a system of yoga transmitted to the modern world by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois (1915-2009). This method of yoga involves synchronizing the breath with a progressive series of postures—a process producing intense internal heat and a profuse, purifying sweat that detoxifies muscles and organs. The result is improved circulation, a light and strong body, and a calm mind."

I started to look around on the internet became more curious about this type of yoga. And found the only Ashtanga Yoga studio taught in Houston, Texas where I live. It is called Tejas Yoga located in Kirby area. It is a little bit far from I live, but I wanted to give a try and see myself how is this yoga looks like. It looks like it is challenging but it is just what I'm looking for. So, I emailed the owner, Yannis, who also taught the class and he told me to come in for the introductory class to give a try. 

Finally, my introductory class...I couldn't wait!!! That Sunday was raining, but since I already made the schedule to be on that rainy Sunday, so I came. I met Yannis, he told me that this yoga is based on our discipline of practice, patience, and of course PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE!!! All those need to keep in mind towards perfection in Ashtanga. He also said that Ashtanga is usually taught in "Mysore" style class where the students are practice at their own pace with the help of the teacher; Mysore is where people all over the world come to practice Ashtanga from Sri K. Pathabi Jois. Another things to keep in mind in Ashtanga practice are breathing, dristhi (gazing point to focus on), and bandhas (lock or seal). 

The breathing technique of Ashtanga is called the ujjayi breathing. This ujjayi breathing or victorous breathing usually consists on long inhalation and one long exhalation with sounds. The breathing is use to keep our mind clear when we're practicing yoga. 

Dristhi or gazing point is also imporant in Ashtanga; it purifies and stabilizes the functioning of the mind. It will help you focusing on your balance as well as your mind. 

Bandhas are essential components of the ujjayi breathing technique. It means lock or seal and the purpose of bandhas are to unlock pranic energy and direct it into the 72,000 nadi [energy channels] of the subtle body (Scott 21). Mula bandha is the anal lock, and uddiyana bandha is the lower abdominal lock ("Ashtanga Yoga"). Both bandhas "seal in energy, give lightness, strength and health to the body, and help to build a strong internal fire" ("Ashtanga Yoga"). Mula bandha operates at the root of the body to seal in prana internally for uddiyana bandha to direct the prana upwards through the nadis (Scott 21). Jalandhara bandha is the "throat lock" (Jois 2002 23, n.27), which "occurs spontaneously in a subtle form in many asanas due to the dristi ("gaze point"), or head position" (Scott 23). "This lock prevents pranic energy [from] escaping and stops any build-up of pressure in the head when holding the breath" (Scott 23). Without bandha control, "breathing will not be correct, and the asanas will give no benefit" ("Ashtanga Yoga"). - 

Those are three important things in Ashtanga Yoga that I quoted (some of it) from www.ashtanga.com. Without those three, our practice will never meet perfections. 

Yoga is 1% theory and 99% practice. Like when I first saw the Primary Series postures on Youtube, I thought " How the heck am I going to able to do this or that...???" but eventually after coming to Tejas Yoga and practice with my teacher (who has been teaching Ashtanga for more than 10 yrs) I starting to see some improvement on my practice. And I starting to see and feel my muscle on my arms, thigh, and legs, whoaaaa...!! And I think I am addicted to it. Even though I always feel soreness on my muscle the next day after practice, but I always think of it as something is about to paid off :).

Now, I'm still practicing the Primary Series of Ashtanga. When I'm through with it, I will be able to do a demo of the Primary Series. I cannot wait, but I just have to have patience, all will get there with more and more practice :).

One pose of advanced Ashtanga Yoga
                       

Above is the Primary Series chart for practice
                                         

No comments: